Thursday 3 May 2012

Red deer, brown booze

Being what my husband refers to as a "little Somersetian", the discovery of Quantock Brewery http://quantockbrewery.co.uk/ was more than usually exciting. I wouldn't normally shout about this, but I was born and "raised" here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridgwater.
One of the perks of living in Bridgy is that you can see the Quantock hills from nearly everywhere. It's a beautiful, and valuable Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, and if you ever find yourself down that way, go and have a mooch.
The brew I am extolling the virtues of now is the venerable Royal Stag, described by Quantock Brewers as a strong ale in the tradition of an IPA.
It shimmers in it's bronzed brilliance, but the lack of head was disappointing for a girl.
Gorgeous hoppy fragrance, with a hint of malt, but what you are mostly treated to is a hit of spicy dried fruits and a suspicion of bourbon.
 I was pleased to note an exciting tang upon the first quaff. It feels sharp, but pleasant
  going down, ironically compensating effectively for the lack of head.
  I expected a cloying malt taste, but instead was rewarded with a surprising
   sherry-esque flavour.
   It was massively hoppy on the after-quaff, and at 6% ABV is not to be argued with.
   Royal Stag is a clean brew, which means I would most likely drink far more than I 
    ought, were it not for.........well, not for anything really.
    If someone were impatient with my beer review stylings, and were to say to me: " Mel, enough of this unnecessary bloggery-pokery, give me the essence of Royal Stag in one word." After I had done snivelling, I would fix them with one of my old-fashioned looks, and say: "Piquant."

This here bottle was delivered to me as part of an amazing Christmas present from my sister-in-law, a Quantock Brewery tasting selection, from these outstanding persons: http://www.alesbymail.com/catalog/.

 Score in ale-urons, out of a possible 10 on the Corinthian Golden Ale Scale:





For those of a rambling, country pursuits bent : http://www.quantockhills.com/  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment